LEVEL IV SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
Excerpt from the NICET Fire Alarm Systems Program Detail Manual:
LEVEL IV MAJOR PROJECT
Ten or more years of employment in the certification area, by itself, is not sufficient for the granting of Level IV. An absolute requirement for certification at Level IV is senior-level involvement in a major project that is directly related to the sub field in which Level IV certification is sought. The major project selected must be completed, must be recent (within the past 3-4 years), and must have taken place well into your career in the certification area. A write-up submitted too early (for example, after only 5 or 6 years in the certification area) will not be reviewed.
The write-up for a major fire alarm systems project should include the following information:
- Type of project (medical facility, warehouse, shopping mall, etc.);
- Scope of work (number and type of alarms, detectors, pull stations, etc. installed);
- Time involvement (start date, end date, number of hours worked);
- Your supervisory responsibilities; and
- Range of your involvement on this project -- hazard analysis, design calculations, approvals, proposals, system installation, checkout, and final approval test.
Your write-up must address the Level IV requirement that your level of responsibility demonstrates independent senior engineering technician work, including delegated responsibilities and duties for which engineering precedent exists. You must describe the pertinent work experience in depth; official job descriptions or testimonials from others will not be evaluated.
LEVEL IV MAJOR PROJECT GUIDELINES
The project write-up must answer these basic questions:
*NOTE: If all of these activities cannot be documented for a single project, they may be accumulated via several more narrowly focused projects.
- What was the project?
- How was the candidate involved?
- The project write-up must be a separate document from the work history
- The project must be recent (within the past 3-4 years)
- The write-up must demonstrate independent, senior-level engineering technician work including delegated responsibilities and duties
- The write-up must include a range of fire alarm system activities*
- The candidate must describe the project; official job descriptions and testimonials from others will not be evaluated.
- The project write-up must be a concise, detailed, two-to-three page written description of one* major fire alarm system project.
- Narrative description of the type and location of project (factory, warehouse, hotel, medical facility, etc.)
- Size of project (square footage, number of stories, approximate installation time, etc.)
- Time period (start / stop dates, dates of candidate´s involvement, amount of time candidate spent on project)
- Scope of fire alarm system activities (risers, circuits, interconnections, spacing of components, etc.)
- Supervisory responsibilities (number of people and tasks they performed)
- Range / scope of activities and role in each activity (hazard analysis, design calculations, approvals, proposals, system installation, check-out, and final approval test, etc.)